Monday 27 August 2012

Hotdog sea monsters (& free Lego!)

I came across this idea to make cool hotdog monsters/creatures/whatever takes your fancy whilst browsing the web a couple of weeks ago - I cannot remember where I first saw them but the idea stuck in my mind as it is soooo simple...


Using cold tinned hotdogs, cut each one into 4 (or more/less depending on what size monster you would like!).  With raw spaghetti, push a spaghetti strand through the piece of hotdog lengthways... repeat with more strands for how many "legs" your monster is to have!  I broke each spaghetti strand into 2 so they were shorter than normal but it doesn't really matter how long they are - all monsters are different, right?

Place into boiling water and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the pasta has cooked through.  Drain and rinse with fresh boiling water to remove the starch - and voila, hotdog sea monsters!

We decorated them with small pieces of pepper for eyes - any small vegetables can be added to make the monsters even more scary!

Since doing this experiment, we had a further idea - a hotdog centipede using full strands of spaghetti and smaller chunks of hotdog... since my youngest has come down with the dreaded chicken pox, this will be something to try this week :)


The Lego has made an appearance as coincidently, we received a free pack of Lego in the post the same day - youngest had great fun "killing/eating" the sea monsters with assistance from the equally-scary looking Lego Ninjago character!  Thank you Mr./Mrs. Lego!


If you are/know the originator of the "hotdog sea monster" idea, please let me know and I will gladly credit them - I don't knowingly "copy" ideas, only share for the benefit of others!

No comments:

Post a Comment